Social security abroad

On this page you will find all information about social security abroad.

  1. Last updated on

Living, working or studying abroad? Everything you need to know about retaining your Belgian social security entitlements can be found on the Belgian social security website

Since 22 April 2010, anyone living, working or studying abroad can visit the social security portal to find out which Belgian social security entitlements he or she can retain. From now on, Belgian citizens can request information in an interactive way about their social security entitlements while abroad.

The FPS Social Security, the Crossroads Bank for Social Security (CBSS) and e-government partner Smals have developed an interactive application for the "Leaving Belgium" section of the portal.

How to do it?

The citizens only have to fill in their nationality, destination, status and the topic on which they want more information. They will then immediately receive an overview of the Belgian social security entitlements they may still retain while abroad.

What information?

Belgian citizens can request information on a range of subjects, including child allowance, pension, reimbursement of medical costs, unemployment benefit, compensation for work incapacity and the payment of social security contributions, etc.

Who is it for?

The application is aimed at employees, self-employed, civil servants, frontier workers, seconded staff, retirees, students, etc. It is not intended for people going on holiday abroad or for people coming to live, work or study in Belgium.

This unique concept for requesting such information was developed in cooperation with the Public Social Security Institutions, which provided the information for the application.

For more information, please visit the website of the FPS Social Security